Egypt and Saudi top defence officials discuss Yemen
The Egyptian and Saudi defence ministers discussed Egypt's participation in the Saudi-led coalition carrying out military operations in Yemen in talks late on Thursday, Egypt's state news agency said.

Egypt's Defence Minister Sedki Sobhi visited Saudi counterpart Prince Mohammed bin Salman and discussed ways of enhancing joint military action within the coalition in order to achieve the goals of the military operation and fully restore legitimacy in Yemen.  

The Saudi-led coalition launched military operations against the Houthis in Yemen on March 26, after the Shia rebel movement made advances onto the Yemeni south.

Saudi Arabia says military operations by the coalition are in response to an appeal from Yemeni President President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Sobhi's visit to the Saudi kingdom comes after the defence minister concluded a visit to Pakistan, which supports the coalition. 

The Egyptian defence minister has also discussed Yemen with the Djibouti Cheif of Staff Zakariya Sheikh Ibrahim, whom he received earlier this week. They addressed instability in the south Red Sea area. 

Egypt fears that Houthi control over Bab al-Mandeb, which lies between Yemen and the Horn of Africa, would affect navigation into the strategic Suez Canal.

The White House backs the Saudi-led coalition and is providing it with logistical and intelligence support. Meanwhile, Iran has described it as "a breach of Yemen's sovereignty". 

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.