Luxor Temple was built in the heart of the ancient city of Thebes, and was connected to Karnak by a 3 kilometer processional way lined with sphinxes. Like most of the Karnak complex, Luxor Temple was also dedicated to the god Amun. Much of the temple core was built by the pharaoh Amenhotep III and then was added to over the years by other kings including Ramesses II.
Luxor Temple is a large temple of ancient Egyptian temples complex located on the eastern bank of the Nile in the city of Luxor today known as the Old Gooda. It was founded in 1400 BC.
The temple of Luxor was built for the worship of Amun-Re and his wife Mut and their son Khonsu, which are also called the title of the Tibetan Triad (Trinity of Good). The Luxor Temple was built during the reign of the 18th Dynasty kings and the Nineteenth Dynasty. The main buildings of the temple are those built by the kings Amenhotep III (1397-1360 BC) and Ramses II (1290-1223 BC) (which added to the temple the open courtyard, the chapel and the two mosques). King Thutmose III (1490-1436 BC) also established booths for visitors to the Holy Trinity, and Tutankhamun (1348-1337 BC) completed the inscriptions of the walls. The tripartite cabin, which had been built during the reign of Queen Hatshepsut and King Thutmose III (of the eighteenth Dynasty), was destroyed and rebuilt during the reign of King Ramesses II.
The temple is also called the Eppet Rasit (meaning the southern sanctuary or the place of Amun Ra). It is one of the best preserved Egyptian temples and the most beautiful building, which shows the layout of the Egyptian temple is clear.
Axis of the temple
We can note that the ancient architects built the temples on the eastern side of the Nile in the direction of a western-eastern axis, while they built on the western side in the direction of the eastern-western axis. However, the Luxor Temple (located on the eastern side) On one line with the Karnak temple group to the north of it, and with the sphinx or rams road that connected the two temples. The architects of King Ramses II may later have to change the axes of the buildings that were added to his reign, as well as the edifice and lobby of the temple of King Amenhotep the Third, when they reconstructed the old tripartite chamber of Queen Hatshepsut and King Thutmose III.
Entrance to the temple
The entrance to Luxor Temple is the first tower at a height of 24 meters (79 feet). It was built by Ramses II and Zein al-Burj with scenes of Ramses military victories (especially the Battle of Kadesh)
; Victories of the pharaohs were recorded later, especially the victories of the 25th Dynasty (Nubian dynasty).
The temple was preceded by two churches, one still standing and the other adorning the Place de la Concorde in Paris
Luxor Temple, the mosque of Abu Hajaj al-Aqsa built on its north-east side, and one of the minarets of the mosque built the mosque of Abu Hajaj al-Aqsa, which dates back to the Ayyubid on the north-east side of Luxor Temple